Monday, February 28, 2011

The similarities between a dog and Jesus...

Ya I know this sounds funny. This weekend I was at home and saw my 14 year old lab. She was so happy and yet I could tell how fragile her life was. I know some of you think I am crazy. Maybe I am.... a little. We got her on Valentine's day hence the name Valentine. I don't have a picture on here... which is awful. But I really got to thinking about the similarities between my dogs and Jesus. Of course there are many obvious differences, like they weren't born to a virgin or they aren't able to heal the sick and feed the hungry (although I could debate the healing... a hard day is always cured with one run with a dog!). But... They love unconditionally and do not care what you wear or what embarrassing thing you just did.

So I wanted to share this from "Marley and Me" in dedication to the life Val has given my family and whatever she has left to give we will always be thankful for the love, comfort, and protection she offered us...Just like Jesus.

"A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine. A dog judges others not by their color or creed or class but by who they are inside. A dog doesn't care if you are rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his. It was really quite simple, and yet we humans, so much wiser and more sophisticated, have always had trouble figuring out what really counts and what does not. As I wrote that farewell column to Marley, I realized it was all right there in front of us, if only we opened our eyes. Sometimes it took a dog with bad breath, worse manners, and pure intentions to help us see."

Here is to Val and Holly and Gussy and Bagels (These are all from my child hood) and of course...

My Kenya

And my one and only Charley...

1 comment:

  1. Chad often talks about the dogs his family had with great fondness. One in particular named Ted even recognized him after he returned home from his 2 year mission. Chad called out to him and Ted frantically tried to reach him, sticking his head as far as he could under the gate and whimpering loudly. I often wish I didn't have such bad allergies around dogs so I could enjoy the love of dogs. I think it is wonderful how Jesus' creations can teach us about Him and help us to draw closer to Him.

    ReplyDelete